Clogged drains at your home can be a massive inconvenience, but they don’t have to be. Goodbee Plumbing is family-owned and is available for all plumbing needs. For issues requiring immediate assistance, Goodbee offers Same-Day service! For those issues that need a quick fix, here are some methods you can try to get those pesky drains unclogged.
Best Home Remedies for Clogged Drains Ranked
There are several ways any homeowner can quickly repair their clogged drains from home. While we recommend working with professional plumbers for drain issues and regular maintenance, some problems just can’t wait.
Plungers are the brute force method for unclogging your drain. These tools are the most useful for situations where you have larger, tangible objects stuck in your drain and can create a reliable seal around that drain with your plunger- this method is most often used in kitchen sinks. You want to fill up half of the sink with warm or hot water for the plunger method and plunge away.
2.Baking Soda & Vinegar
Some of you may remember this combo from your elementary school science fair- they’re back and better than ever, this time, they’re here to unclog your drains. First: Pour baking soda into the clogged drain. For larger clogs, one cup should do. Next, pour double the amount of vinegar into the drain- in our case, we’re going to be pouring in two cups of vinegar. Let the solution sit for five minutes, and then flush your drain with some hot water. Repeat as needed.
3. Wire Hanger
This method is most effective for getting in the drain and loosening up any clumped together smaller objects, such as hair or small food particles. Wire hangers may find the most use in shower drains, where hair regularly clumps and finds itself stuck. For this method, all you need is a metal wire hanger, (ideally) some rubber gloves, and some eye protection. Unbend your hanger, and get to work!
4. Hot Water and Dish Soap
Hot water and dish soap is a tried-and-true method for getting drains with large amounts of grease buildup to get unclogged. First, send an ample amount of dish soap down the drain in question. After that, all it takes is some boiling water to clear out any grease or other blockages preventing the drain from working as expected.
5. The Shop-Vac
The final, most powerful method is the shop-vac. Among the best home remedies for clogged drains, this one is often the most effective and is the only way in this list to incorporate other home appliances. For this method, it is best to create some kind of seal to make the vacuum effective in dislodging the clog. Some may opt for a plastic soda bottle, and some may have a plunger attachment for their shop vac, but duct tape should work just fine. Once you have your seal around the vacuum head and drain, you just need to place your vacuum on its highest setting and begin unclogging your drain.
Pros and Cons of Garbage Disposals
If they don’t already have one, households should generally look to invest in a garbage disposal to make disposing of certain objects in the kitchen much more manageable. However, these disposals should be used carefully and have some pros and cons.
- They’re easy to use. Most household garbage disposals operate at the flick of a switch- perfect for any family that wants to make kitchen cleanup fast and easy.
- They’re effective. Garbage disposals will quickly dispose of most kitchen table scraps, allowing for more room in a household’s garbage cans.
- They’re environmentally friendly. Did you know that food waste and decay is a significant contributor to the emission of greenhouse gasses? Putting food waste down drains via a garbage disposal system allows the waste to be treated in a wastewater plant, preventing much of the decay and gas emission.
- They break. Like any kitchen appliance, improper use of garbage disposals can lead to them breaking and clogging. Families should be careful not to dispose of larger pieces of food or any other objects that a garbage disposal cannot break down.
- They can stink. A holdup in a drain or garbage disposal can lead to food being stuck just below the drain, which leads to an unpleasant odor emanating from the kitchen sink.
- They require maintenance. Garbage disposals require regular maintenance and cleaning to ensure that they stay effective for longer. Consult a professional plumbing company before attempting to perform maintenance on a garbage disposal yourself.
General Tips for Sink Health
To avoid sorting out these clogs yourself at home, we recommend getting ahead on drain cleanliness before sink clogging becomes a real issue. Scheduling monthly drain cleanings with Goodbee is a surefire way you will never have to worry about finding the best home remedies for clogged drains again.
In addition to keeping your sinks and drains healthy with regular drain maintenance, households should also be careful about the items they put in their drains and the substances that are poured into them. For example, you should never pour liquids other than water down bathroom sinks and drains or drains that are otherwise unequipped to dispose of substances other than water. Additionally, you should never pour grease or other fatty substances down your drains; these liquids coat drains and create traps for food and other objects you wash down your pipes.
Schedule Your Drain Cleaning Today
Goodbee Plumbing is a family-owned and operated business dedicated to providing the best plumbing services in southeastern Louisiana. To schedule a drain cleaning appointment, see our website or call us at (985) 313-3435.
Goodbee Plumbing is committed to serving the Covington area and bringing all of our clients into the Goodbee family. We offer drain cleaning services, gas inspections, water treatments, and much more. All of this with same-day service- contact us today for those clogs that just can’t wait.